Poached pears are a lovely dessert, they look beautiful & taste delicious. I had never made poached pears before, but I am glad that I did because they turned out so well. This is a really satisfying dessert. Serve warm, this recipe serves 4.
2 cups of frozen berries
3 cups of water
2 tablespoons of honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 nib of fresh ginger
- Place the frozen berries & two cups of the water in a saucepan on the stove top, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Peel the pears & scoop out the core from the bottom leaving the stalk on the top. I used a melon baller which worked really well.
- Remove berries from the stove & place the mixture in a food processor & whiz for a minute until smooth.
- Pour back into the saucepan through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Add the honey, 1 cup of water, ginger & cinnamon sticks.
- Place the pears in the saucepan & poach over a medium heat for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the pears & continue to simmer the sauce until in reduces down & becomes syrupy.
- Place the pears on individual plates & pour two tablespoons of the berry reduction over them.