I saw these beautiful fresh scallops at our local farmers market & I could not go past them. I get so disappointed that commercially brought scallops are sold without the row, it is so beautiful in colour & taste. I grew up in New Zealand where we would dive for them & we would eat the WHOLE scallop, so it seems strange that the row is wasted.
I served the scallops on a smear of cauliflower mash, which worked so perfectly. Click here to make the cauliflower mash. This dish works perfectly as an entree if you are having a dinner party or want to treat yourself to something a bit special. If I had seen this dish on a menu while eating out I would have been excited! Materchef here I come!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
4 rash bacon
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the bacon in very small cubes
- Peel the apples & chop into small cubes & set aside
- In a hot pan fry the chopped bacon until soft
- Add the apple & a touch of olive oil if needed, pan fry until the bacon in crispy, set aside
- In a pan over a medium heat place 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Place the scallops in the pan & gently caramelize for 2-3 minutes
- Gently turn the scallops over, caramelizing the other side for 2 minutes, be careful not to over cook the scallops
- On your serving plates, garnish with baby water cress & smear the cauliflower mash (optional)
- Place two scallops on each plate on top of the cauliflower mash
- Carefully spoon the bacon & apple crumble on top of each scallop
- Salt & pepper to taste. Serve
You could also add fresh herbs such as coriander to the crumble.
Very cute and chic!
Yum! What a beautiful and delicious dish. Fresh scallops are amazing, especially topped with bacon!