It can be daunting thinking about quitting processed food. What can you eat, will you be hungry and giving up some of the things that you love can be tough, even though you know that they are not good for you. Take it from me… a total bread lover, the benefits of eating real food far out ways any of your favourite processed treats. Here are my top 13 tips to becoming a REAL FOODIE.
- At first you don’t have to go cold turkey, cut out food that is absolute junk food first, like chips, cookies, cakes etc and then fine tune as you learn more. The more you learn the more you will find it easier you will find it to quit processed fake food.
- When you shop at the supermarket, only shop the edges. Fruit, vegetables, meats, seafood and eggs are usually around the sides and really that is all you need and you won’t be tempted by any processed food.
- If you do buy packaged food, do not buy anything with a long ingredient lists or ingredients that you don’t recongnise.
- Shop at your local farmers market, this is where you will get the freshest ingredients.
- Look at websites and blogs that inspire you with healthy real food recipes and start cooking, click here to view my recipes.
- Make sure you always have fresh ingredients in then you won’t reach for processed food when you are hungry.
- Start drinking water or mineral water with lime instead of sugary options.
- Experiment with herbal teas, my favorite is Ginger.
- Allow your taste buds to adjust to new flavors. It may take a couple of months but you will appreciate the taste, flavor & texture of real food soon enough.
- Understand the difference between whole food, organic food, processed food & real food. Marketing companies are very clever!
- Start cooking at home more. Your family will love you for it!
- Buy a food processor, it will be the best investment you will make in your kitchen and your families well being.
- Read some good books on the subject of eating real food and the benefits, click here for my book list.
- Have fun with it and enjoy all of the amazing benefits, click here to learn some benefits of quitting processed food.
Great article! The motto at our house is, “If it comes in a cardboard box it’s not food fit for human consumption.”
Love it! Great motto!
Great, simple advice! I always tell people #3 when they ask me about eating healthier. Sadly most people only look at the nutrition facts & calories and are completely ignorant to ingredients 😦
Very true and people listen to companies that are trying to sell the products too much! They will say anything to get you to buy their products!
People are always so surprised at how much more “real” food they can eat compared to the processed “diet” stuff.
Hi, a great list. People surely do need to be more aware of what they buy and what is truly good for them to eat.
I have been vegetarian for many years and currently testing the benefits of raw food vegan diet. In case you are interested you can check out my blog: http://rawandtastyfood.wordpress.com/
Wishing you a great day.
Thanks for stopping by. I will love to check out your blog, I am always interested in different approaches.